Friday, July 22, 2011

Chapter Twenty-three

Sorry it's taken me so long to get this up. Yeah, real life fucking sucks. Between finals for school, my grandmother coming down *again* with cancer, and of course the Equine Herpes Flu going horse to horse, yeah I've been busy.



This chapter is a little shorter, and this is unedited, so forgive any mistakes. If this chapter doesn't make sense at the end, please go re-read chapters one and three, as those should help you, if not, just message me. I promise I wont bite... well to hard anyways :D. Enjoy!




I took a deep breath, wanting to inhale the smell of Jared. What I got was a familiar scent, but it defiantly was not Jared. My body froze, my bones locking in and not moving.



"Baby what..." I felt the growl in Jared's chest and knew he smelt it to.




"Another leech?" Leah asked coming to stand beside me.




"No, human. And I know exactly who it is.




I took off running, my nose leading the way. Once my body felt safe enough to phase, my body exploded. It was second nature to me now.



I ran through the forest, my paws thumping against the ground. I heard my pack catching up behind me, and pushed myself faster.



"Bella! Wait up!" I growled, ignoring my brother.



I felt myself weaving in and out of the trees, the scent being scattered all over. My muscles bunched and released with every turn and curve of the trees. My paw ripped into the ground below me, sending the scent of fresh tilled dirt through my nostrils.



I growled, losing the one scent that I wanted. I pushed myself off of the nearest tree, rocketing myself forward and even farther ahead of my pack.



I pushed through some tall grass and came to a skidding halt in the middle of a meadow. I could smell her, but couldn't see her. I narrowed my eyes, searching all over. I heard a whimper, and slowly walked forward. For once in my life, I was scared of what I would see. I knew the smell, and I could smell blood. I whimpered when I saw her. Blood was caked all over her face, her leg was bent at a weird, unhealthy angel. She looked sad, broken.



I felt my eyes fill with tears that I knew would fall, no matter how much I fought it. I whimpered again, causing her to look up at me, and scramble back. My heart broke, of course she would be afraid of me.



"Turn around, I'm gonna phase back." I looked over my shoulder making sure my pack turned away. I felt my bones crack, and break back into my human body. I heard a gasp, and looked to see her swollen eyes trying to go as big as saucers.



Jared nudged my shoulder, looking down at his leg. I smiled, pulled his t-shirt from around it and pulling it on over my naked body.



I slowly walked over towards her, gauging her reactions. She kept looking between me and Jared, shaking her swollen head.



"It's ok, I won't hurt you." I got down on my knees, making myself her size and slowly worked closer to her.



Once I got close enough, she looked at me, really looked at me. I saw her body relax, just a little bit, before she flung herself at me. "Bella!"



"It's ok, I'm going to keep you safe." I promised.



"Aw, isn't that sweet. Best friends reunited." I growled, whipping my body around as I came face to face with James.



"You!" I growled. I should have fucking known.



"Yes, me indeed. I couldn't have you, so I brought the one person I knew you would try to save. She's the one person I knew you would come for, no matter what. She was the only way to get what I wanted."



I growled. "And what is it you want?"



He looked around, acting thoughtful for a second. "You will love it, I promise."



"Nothing you have to offer will cause me to love it, or you." I spat.



He tsked me as if I were a small child. I hated that shit, and he knew it. "Oh, you'll love this." I raised my eyebrow at him, slowly making my way towards him, making sure to keep between him and her. "I want you to come back with me."



"What makes you think I want to?" I heard my pack growl and I shot them a look. That's all it took, the slightest distraction. James had moved to her, and had her held up. She whimpered, trying to move away from his cold, solid body. I growled at him, and felt my body start to vibrate.



"Well, let's put this simply. If you don't come with me, she dies. That's your choice, it's that simple."



I growled, not liking the position I was put in. If I made a wrong move, she could die. I couldnt do that to my best friend, or more like my old best friend. I heard my brother whimper, and looked at him.



I saw fear, hate, love and a million other emotions floating in his chocolate eyes. I followed his line of sight, straight to her. Jake took a step forward, and I growled my warning at him.



"Watch it pup. It won't take much to kill the pathetic human." James growled. I saw his eyes shift to black, and knew it would only take a half second for him to kill her.



I slowly took a step forward, keeping my eyes on James. I had to protect her, even if it was with my own life. My brother loved her, and I didn't want him to risk his life. I knew the imprint, how it felt, how to handle it, he didn't.



"Fine, I'll go." I sighed. I heard my pack growl at me. "This is my concern, non of yours." I growled. I saw hurt in Jared's eyes, and prayed he saw that I would return in mine. I would fight until my life ended to make it back to him. He bowed his head, before turning away. My heart broke into a million pieces, as he turned his back on me.



"Let her go, I want her safe before I'll go anywhere with you." James nudged her towards the pack. I tried to convey with my eyes that she was safe, nothing to worry about. James's cold hand wrapped around my warm arms causing me to flinch away from him.



"Don't even try it. Any of you follow, and I'll kill Bella and come back for her." He growled.



I bowed my head, following beside James. I felt like I was betraying Jared in every way possible. I followed him for about twenty miles before I finally said anything.



"Why?" James stopped and looked at me.



"Why what?"



"Why me? Why did you use her to get me?"



He thought about his answer before answering. "I could say it's because I love you. I could say it's because I miss you."



"But it would all be nothing but fucking lies." I spat.



"Hmm, maybe moving here was good for you. You finally broke out of your shell, which will only make this that much more fun. The real reason I wanted you, you killed my mate, so I'm going to kill you."



I probably should have flinched, but all I did was feel my anger rising. "Oh that fucking red headed bitch. I'm pretty sure she got what she deserved, the same as you."



"My dear, my still standing. I will still be standing at the end of today, however you and your mate won't be."



My anger flared. "Don't bring him into it, or mark my words, I will kill you."



James let out a crazy laugh. Yeah, I'm pretty sure the mother fucker lost his damned mind. "You couldn't hurt me even if you tried. Your a pathetic woman who lets her feelings get in the way."



I felt my bones vibrate, and the fire course through me. I growled, feeling my body fall forward, my muscles bunching.



"So you want to play?" James taunted me. Not the thing to do asswipe.



I circled around him, waiting for the opening that I could just end this. We circled for what seemed like ever, before he lost his concentration. I lept forward, landing on his chest. He fell to the ground, the sound echoing through the forest.



"You stupid fucking bitch." He wrapped his arms around me, squeezing me tight. I whimpered as I felt my paw begin to brake.



We rolled around, James straddling me. I swiped my paw up and across his face, liking the sound it made. I tried rolling us, pushing with all my might. James was bigger then me, always had been, and today he was proving so.



"Baby, I'm coming." I wanted to sigh in relief, but all I felt was fury. I got my hind legs up under James before shoving him off. I jumped to my feet, watching as he flew into the tree. I heard James yell as the tree gave out, and buckled to the forest floor. I didn't give him a chance to recover before I pounced, landing on top of him. I growled, placing my teeth at his neck.



My teeth ripped threw the stone, the sound of metal being ripped apart. I cringed, wanting to cover my ears.



The sickly sweet smell burned my eyes and nostrils as I stared at the ground where James's head lay. I phased back, not sure what I was going to do. I didn't have a lighter on me.



My question was answered as my pack came through the trees. Jared moved forward, pulling a lighter out and throwing it on what was left of James. The venom caught, causing purple black smoke to raise into the air. I snuggled into Jared's chest, watching the flames rise.



I pulled my attention away when I heard a giggle. I looked to see her slide off of Jake, before she limped over to me. I raised my eyebrow at Jared, he simply whispered that the elders gave her some "happy weed." 



"Enjoy yourself?" I asked.



"I did. Have you ever rode one?" She screeched. I laughed, shaking my head no. Jake came running out behind the tree in his cut off shorts. I sighed.



"Have you two been introduced?" They stared at eachother, all googley eyes and whatnot. Yeah, pretty sure I just threw up a little bit.



"Jake, meet Jami. Jami, I would like you to meet my little brother Jake."

No comments:

Post a Comment