Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Chapter Three- I Want A Cowboy

Broken Hearts and Rodeo Dreams

I Want A Cowboy

Bella-

You can do this Isabella. You are Isabella Marie Swan that lives in Forks Washington. Suck it up and deal, you will continue with rodeo and rebuild your name!

I was so out of it by the time we got back from Seattle. I told Charlie that I was going to go feed Sunny and that I would be back soon. The drive to Cullen Farm was short compared to the drives I've made the last three days. It was also relaxing to not have to worry about all the traffic.

When I parked at the Cullen's, I saw that Sunny was still out in the pasture looking happy. I decided to put hay and grain in his stall before bringing him up. I heard noises coming from the arena and leaned up against the wood from the doorway and watched them. Edward and his friends were so into what they were doing, they didn't even see me. The way they all acted together, messing around and joking, reminded me of the friends I left behind in Phoenix.

Can't think about that now Bella, you decided what was best for you. No lookin' back now!

I sighed and pushed myself off of the doorway and walked out to Sunny. As soon as he saw me walkin' up to him, he started to wonder up to me. "Hey boy, you ready for your grain?" His reply was a nicker, as I slid his halter and lead onto him and led him to his stall. I heard someone in the ally way but didn't pay attention to whomever or whatever made the noise. I decided to brush Sunny and was so tired and frustrated, I felt the silent tears run down my face.

I stayed with Sunny for about an hour just brushing and enjoying his company before getting in my truck and headin' back home. Home, that's new. Do you really consider this place home again? Pulling up to Charlie's, I noticed the lights were already out. I wondered up to my room, and decided not to unpack anything tonight and just fell into my bed. I swear as soon as my head hit the pillow, I was unconscious.

Waking up the next morning, I realized that I was still in my clothes from yesterday. Wow, you weren't tired or anything, damn. Figuring the best course of action was to take a shower first. Once I got to the bathroom, I turned the water on, and while the steam filled the room, I stripped down and stepped in the shower. With the warm water flowing down my body, I began to relax. Being cooped up in my truck with all that driving really did a number on my body!

As the water started to cool down, I decided that it was time to get out. I threw on a pair of my worn in wranglers and a blue tank top. It was really quiet walking downstairs, almost to quiet. I went to the kitchen to grab some breakfast before heading out to the farm and found a note from Charlie.

-Bells,


Sorry for leaving so early, I got called into the station. Enjoy your day and be careful on your drive to the Cullen's farm.


-Charlie

Gotta love short, sweet and to the point Charlie. I grabbed my strawberry breakfast bar and ran out the door to my truck. Real smart thing to do Bella! Half way to my truck, of course, I tripped on air and fell flat on my ass. O yeah, that's a bruise on the ego. Chuckling, I pulled myself up and dug for my keys in my pocket. Jumping into the truck and starting it, I pulled out my Taylor Swift CD and put it in the player. Before I even got to the sixth song on it, I was pulling into the Cullen's.

I didn't see anyone so figured they where most likely still sleeping or not home. After all it is seven in the morning on a Monday. Shutting my truck off and grabbing the keys, I decided to give Sunny some hay to eat while I grabbed my saddle and tack out of the trailer. Once I finally hauled everything to stall, I started putting Sunny's bell boots and splint boots on while he finished eating.

Once he finished eating, I led him out into the ally way and started saddling him. First I put on my barrel racing pad, adjusted it to where it need to be, then threw my saddle up on his back. Reaching under his belly, I grabbed my chinch and pulled my latigo leather and tightened my saddle onto my horses back. I heard Sunny let out a burst of air and just laughed at him while slipping my bridle into place. Swinging myself up into the saddle, I started to walk to the indoor arena, and had Sunny side step to the gate to open it, walk threw, and then close it.

I was working on tight circles when someone else entered the area. Looking up I saw Edward, and memories started to flood my mind, and I lost track of all time.

My mom was running late to pick me up at school and had asked Esme Cullen to pick me up and take me to her house. I was so excited because they had horses, lots of horses. I loved horses, but had never been on one. Once we got there, the excitement was bubbling it's way out. Once the car was stopped, I followed Edward to the barn. One of the hired hands saddled up a horse for Edward, and I couldn't believe I was going to get to see him ride. Yeah, I had a little crush on Edward Cullen. I followed him to the arena and watched as he got on.


"Bella, would you like to ride with me?" I was so scared, but being stubborn as I was, the hired hand helped me on.


"Edward, I don't know how to ride, I don't want to fall," I squeaked only the way a five year old little girl could.


"Don't worry Bella, I wont let anything happen to you," Edward said as I put my arms around his waist on hung on for my life. For some unknown reason, I trusted him to not let anything happen to me. Slowly my body began to relax, and I felt so comfortable on that horse, I never wanted to get off.

I guess in a way, I can thank Edward for getting me into riding. Deciding I had enough riding to hold Sunny over until tomorrow, after all, I forgot how long I had been riding, I decided to call it quits for the day. Walking to the end of the arena, Edward looked up at me and I was lost in those beautiful green eyes that I remember being on a five year old little boy. I was so shocked I got a little embarrassed and chocked out "O, hey, sorry I didn't know anyone was riding in here."

"It's fine. You probably don't remember me, Isabella, I'm Edward," he said in a voice that I could only describe as rough velvet. Little did he know, I knew exactly who he was, even though he might not remember me. "You have a nice looking horse, do you use him for any events?"

Ok Bella, this is where you talk, you know, move your mouth and let words come out. "Yes, I use Sunny for barrel racing, and please call me Bella. Isabella makes it sound like I did something wrong." Hmm, ok, take foot out of mouth here!

Edward looked lost in thought for a couple of seconds before a smug smile came to play on his face. "Ok, Bella, you can ride good. Get a little better and maybe you can ride with us sometime." O hell no he did not just say that!

No way was I going to let someone I barely knew talk to me like that. I felt the competitive Bella starting to surface and just let her go. "I can probably out ride you any day of the week. And as I recall you do not have your name anywhere within the top of any state in any event for rodeo. So maybe when you get a little bit better, you can ride with me!" He really just pissed me off! I started leading Sunny out of the arena and almost to the gate, I looked me behind me and couldn't believe what just happened. Who the hell is that cocky jackass and what happened to that sweet little boy that said he wouldn't let anything happen to me. Neither of you are five years old Bella, and as far as I can tell your not that shy little girl anymore, so why would he be the same?

Deciding that I was to pissed off to carry my tack to the trailer, I just led Sunny to it and tied him up, and unsaddled him. I had just started to lead him to the pasture outside when a truck pulled up, and a pixie like girl jumped out and ran up to me.

"Hi! I'm Alice, you must be Isabella?" She asked while pretty much jumping in place.

"Uh, hi Alice, um.. call me Bella please," I said threw clenched teeth from still being pissed off.

"O. Ok well the big guy walking into the barn there is Emmett, and this handsome guy here is my boyfriend Jasper!" Wow maybe she's a pixie on crack.

"Well it's nice to meet you all," I said leading Sunny to the gate.

"Wow, are you ok Bella? You seem really pissed off," Alice said with a concerned look on her face.

All I could do with that look was laugh, and then I felt like a bitch and calmed down and answered "Sorry Alice, I just had a run in with a cocky son of a bitch that needs knocked down from his high horse!" Now it was her turn to laugh.

"I guess that means you've met Edward," hell might as well keep it a secret I know the prick, so I just nodded "Don't worry about him he's just crabby because he don't have a team roping partner."

"Hey Alice, care to help me knock him off that high horse?" I couldn't help the evil plan in my head. Alice nodded, so I went ahead with the plan, "Well I do know how to rope, I was a back up heeler for a friend of mine back in Phoenix. Edward seems to think I can't ride, so if I rope maybe that'll shut him up." She got a devilish look on her face, and I knew we were on the same page. "The only problem is, I don't have a roping horse."

"Don't worry about that. When we pulled up Emmett had the idea for you to try to rope with Edward, he'll let you use his horse!" Now she was jumping all around.

"Sounds good to me, let me finish up settling Sunny in, then I'll head in." She said a quick see ya soon then bounced off to the barn. I was a little nervous the closer I got to walking into that barn. Of course I knew how to rope, and I was good at it. Only problem is, roping is suppose to be a guy sport, so guys tend to take a huge hit to their ego when a woman ropes with them. I heard a Garth Brooks song come on in the arena while I was putting hay and grain in Sunny's stall. Once that was done, I couldn't stall any longer and started to head to the arena.

Perfect timing to, just as I walked in, Edward had his horse backed into the header box. I squared my shoulders and started my walk over to Emmett. He had a huge smile on his face when he started to get off his horse.

"What the hell is going on? Emmett get back on your horse so we can fuckin' practice!" I heard Edward yell. I put on the meanest look I could and looked at Edward as Emmett adjusted the stirrups for me. Emmett helped me on his horse whispering in my ear to blow Edward out of his mind. "What the hell are you doing Bella?" Ha, I think he's really pissed now, o well I'll get over it.

"Shut the hell up Cullen, and lets go!" I couldn't help with the smug smile because I knew he didn't think I could rope by the look on his face. He nodded his head for the steer to be released, his horse bolted after it, and I followed close behind. Damn this horse knows what the fuck he's doing! Edward made a clean catch and started to pull the steer. Heres your shot Bella, show him your not that scared little girl anymore! I threw my rope and caught the hind legs of the steer and saw Edward turn as we started to pull it. O yeah that's right, I can run with the big boys!

"Edward, meet your new roping partner!" Emmett boomed from across the arena. I looked at Edward, and he almost looked lost staring me in the eyes. I don't know what he was looking for but all to soon his got a look on his face that I knew that I wasn't going to like what he had to say.

"Fuck no! I will not rope with a girl! Fuck that!" He yelled. All I could do was roll my eyes.

"Whatever Edward, you can kiss my ass because I never said anything about wanting to rope with you! Thanks for letting me use your horse Emmett, he's awesome!" I said jumping out of the saddle. I started walking out of the arena and noticed Alice running up to me.

"Bella, that was so cool! I think you knocked him down like you wanted to. You totally kick ass at roping! You should come to the roping clinic tomorrow!" Alice beamed, damn can I bottle up her energy for later use?

"Alice, I'll be here, but it won't be for the clinic," I said looking over at her. Aww shit! I shouldn't have done that! She had a full blown puppy dog eyes on me. Damn it! "Fine, I'll show up, but I can't rope. Sunny is strictly used for barrel racing!"

She nodded, and starting thinking, shit this can't be good. "I bet Emmett will let you use his horse again!" You might as well give up Bella, you can already see it won't do you any good to argue with her. Alice is a force to be reckoned with. I just nodded and said that I needed to go. We said quick good byes as I was getting in my truck. Backing out, I looked over at Sunny in the pasture to make sure he was fine.

Driving on the way home I drove by the station and saw that Charlie was still at work. I pulled into the drive way and parked, stepping out into the light mist that had started. I went inside and grabbed a sandwich and pepsi and headed upstairs to unpack my things.

After falling numerous times, stubbing my toe, running into my bed and four hours later, I was finally unpacked and settled in. Looking at my cell phone, I decided it was time to go back to Cullen Farms and put Sunny in. An hour and a half later I was standing in the warm shower cleaning off all of the dirt and just let my mind wonder.

I started missing the warm Arizona sun, my friends, my mother, and the respect I had there. Silent tears ran down my face and I didn't want to hold them in. I heard Charlie walking up the stairs and decided to get out of the shower. After I dried off, I slipped into my sweat pants and tank top and went to bed.

My alarm woke me up the next morning, and I was in a good mood, until I remembered what Alice had talked me into. Bye bye good mood, and welcome to hell. I groaned and rolled out of bed to get ready for my day in hell. I quickly got dressed and headed out the door to start my short drive to Cullen Farms. Pulling up, I saw a lot of trucks and trailers I hadn't seen here before. Sighing I parked my truck by my trailer and got out.

Walkin' into the barn, I started to slow my walking when I saw a man getting his horse ready. He was huge, muscular, dark skinned and hot. I slipped into Sunny's stall before he could see me and until I no longer heard him.

"Bella! There you are." Holy shit! I think I just had a heart attack! I looked up to see Alice standing there all smiles, while I'm tryin' to jump start my heart. "You ready to go to the arena?" All I could do was nod and follow her. I followed her to the arena to hear Edward yelling about only God knows what. I rolled my eyes at him and started to talk towards Emmett.

"Hey Bella, glad you could make it. I know you rode him yesterday, but this is Wrangler." Emmett's horse was a beautiful paint stallion. I nodded as he helped me on, "Now you got a feel of what he can do, but believe it or not yesterday he was moving slow." I swear my eyes were about to pop out of my head when he said that. Wrangler had moved fast yesterday, but according to Emmett that was slow, holy shit!

"Emmett, thank you again for helping me out with this." I said to him while grabbing the reins. He answered with a simple no problem and walked to where Edward was standing. Edward matched us up and guess who I was paired up with? Yep you guessed it, that hot guy from the ally way. Maybe today won't be hell after all. I found out that hot guy from the ally way actually went by Jake Black. I like my name better, but I guess Jake is easier to say. I couldn't help but chuckle at that one.

"Hey, I'm Jake Black, how are you today?" O my, even his voice is hot. Damn it Bella, pay attention, your not here to pick up hot guys. Although it wouldn't be that bad of an idea.

"Bella Swan, I'm good, how are you?" That was simple enough.

"I'm fine thanks. Hey did you say your last name was Swan?" I nodded, that's a strange question. "Are you related to Charlie Swan?" O grand, another guy that gets in trouble.

"Yeah, that's my father."

"Wow you have really grown up!" What, wait a minute, how in the hell did hot Jake know me? I guess the dumbfound look on my face gave me away. "Billy Black is my dad." Ok, that name sounds familiar. "We used to hang out when we were little and our dads were fishing." Ahh that explains it!

"O wow, I remember wow long time!" As soon as that was out of my mouth Edward yelled for all of us to get lined up by the boxes. Jake ended up being really good at roping, and like I said before, team roping is more of a guys sport. That left Alice and I, I of course, being the only female roping. At first all the stares I was getting were really pissing me off. Then I entered the box; Jake and I did our run and had a clean catch. Then the stares were replaced with mouths hanging open. Yes gentleman, that is correct, a woman just owned your asses!

When the clinic was finally over with, it was around five at night. I helped Emmett out with Wrangler, after all I did ride his horse all day, it was the least I could do, then fed Sunny. I was getting ready to head out to my truck when I saw Jake and Edward talking about something, probably about roping this summer together, when Jake ran up to me leaving Edward waiting for his return.

"Hey Bella wait up!" I stopped and waited for him to catch up. "I was wondering, if maybe sometime you'd wanna go out?" Jake asked shyly. Aww how cute! I told him that I would like that, and exchanged phone numbers with promises of calling each other. When he turned to walk back to Edward, I noticed Edward looked pissed compared to when Jake walked up to me. Wonder what got up his ass? I laughed and walked out to my truck and started it, putting one of my mixed CD's in. When the first song started playing, I laughed so hard I could barely sing along with it, but somehow I managed.

Everybody told me he was a dream

Picture perfect like he stepped right off the silver screen

Said that he would sweep me off my feet

But i'm still standing no he didn't do it for me

'cause i don't go for all that wine and dine

With the ray ban fake tan never mind

I want a down home up with the sun rise man

A pick-up truck driving bull riding strong steady hand

I want the wranglers stetson and all that stuff

I want the real mccoy

I want a cowboy

I'm tired of talking 'bout it wasting my time

On all the cheap talkers needing me feeding me lines

Give me somebody who's tender but tough

Simple and honest knows a thing or two about love

I've seen enough to know i know what i like

It's the hard working head turning rugged type

I want a down home up with the sun rise man

A pick-up truck driving bull riding strong steady hand

I want the wranglers stetson and all that stuff

I want the real mccoy

I want a cowboy

I've seen enough to know you know what i mean

Ride me off into the sunset that's my thing

I want a down home up with the sun rise man

A pick-up truck driving bull riding strong steady hand

I want the wranglers stetson and all that stuff

I want the real mccoy

I want the real mccoy

I want a cowboy

I want a cowboy a cowboy

Pulling into the drive way at home, I had listened to that song about four times and laughed and sang every single time to. I climbed up the stairs, got in the shower, and then fixed dinner. Every since I left the farm that song kept running threw my head. Going to bed the last thing to run threw my head was; Sorry Reba, I just found my cowboy!

No comments:

Post a Comment